Saturday, September 3, 2016

LABOR DAY PART TWO--PALM SPRINGS WOMEN'S JAZZ FESTIVAL








I LOVE JAZZ. I'VE BEEN PLAYING JAZZ DRUMS SINCE I WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD. WHAT A TREAT IT WAS TO GO TO AND SUPPORT THE PALM SPRINGS JAZZ FESTIVAL. ANN HAMPTON CALLAWAY HEADLINED ONE NIGHT, AND DEE DEE BRIDGEWATER THE NEXT.

Imagine an impromptu duet with Diane Schuur that materialized as Ann's encore!

Ann, Diane



I am really, really a picky snob when it comes to female singers. If Dusty Springfield was one of your closest friends; Phoebe Snow and Carole King were two of your clients; and you were lucky enough to have experienced live every female singer in almost every genre from Irene Kral at the Manne Hole, to closed recording sessions with the immediate western world---then you get my drift.

I love Jane Monheit and Ann Hampton Callaway. they are MY people for the rest of my life. You can put in Adele, who can most certainly choose to sing jazz, if she wants to, but she's in a different genre right ow

This festival was terrific. And I have to highlight these two talents:

Carol Chaikin on sax

Chelsea Stevens on bass.

 Watch out for them. If they had been born male, they would be huge stars by now.

We all had a ball at the Annenberg Theatre in Palm Springs. (And at the next day swim party at Lucie Arnaz and Larry Luckinbills' home.

Ann Hampton Callaway, Florence Henderson, Kayla Pressman, yours truly


 Kayla has been Florence's manager for DECADES.
Lucie Arnaz and Michael Childers with such a handsome guy. Next time, I get his name!

Graydon Yearick and architect Michael Johnston





No comments: