Monday, January 16, 2017

"THE YOUNG POPE" IS DIVINELY AWFUL-----WHAT FUN!






"GOD LIVES NEXT TO THE BIG DIPPER. HE HAS HALF A DUPLEX WITH A SWIMMING POOL," was actually one of the lines that came out of Jude Law's mouth as the Pope. I get that some of the camp is intentional. I always support that. What I can't stand is the pretentious, precious ponderous dialogue said by Jude as well as Diane Keaton as Sister Mary. I have no idea how Diane can keep a straight face and say those lines.

The script is laughable. The direction and cinematography is totally a steal from all the "Godfather movies"---tons of close ups of face in candelight surrounded by infinite black backgrounds. Jude Law acts like he's a zombie in every scene. I think I'm going to have to rewatch "The Talented Mr. Ripley" as an antidote.

And the score!!!!! It is just as silly...with drum beats, pulses under dialogue that are hilarious, too. Good Lord.

So far, I'll keep watching, but if I stop laughing, I'll press delete.

No comments: