Monday, March 6, 2017

I AM IN LOVE WITH "FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN"







THIS IS A TOTAL LOVE FEST. Just from the first episode, you can tell that, although the camp element is there, this is a more serious movie that is a character study of the pain of aging actresses. Ryan Murphy has made something IMPORTANT. Those who care will get that, and others will love clothes and make-up. You know who you are.




And to be so accurately detailed as to know about the book, CHOCOLATES FOR BREAKFAST, and put it in dialogue and an insert shot, is genius. This 1956 book, along with PEYTON PLACE, started off the entire genre. I still have my paperback version in a place of honor in my bedroom.

I actually had tea with Bette Davis at her apartment just below the Sunset Strip. When the book I'm writing comes out, you'll hear all about it. Bette didn't disappoint. And, while I never met Crawford, she used to send me letters when I was at the Hollywood Reporter admiring my column and giving me her opinions on things I wrote about. I treasure them.

Congrats to Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon. The genius images of the real Bette and Joan, so carefully calculated by both, provide Lange and Sarandon the juiciest of opportunities to have at it!

No comments: